How to care for your fresh cut lavender
Here at McKinley Lavender Farm we believe the possibilities to what you can do with fresh cut lavender are endless. But the first thing you need to know is how to care for your lavender. We have included a quick list to ensure your freshly cut lavender from our Kelowna lavender farm lasts.
Remember – when you are done with your bouquets and live arrangements, you can hang your lavender to dry and it will provide you with memories for up to ten years!
At McKinley Lavender Farm we ship our lavender fresh from our Kelowna farm, right to your door in the Okanagan and we also make special overnight, fresh deliveries within Canada as well. Fresh cut lavender can be used for so many herbal and botanical products due to it’s versatility, scent and longevity. Ordering fresh lavender for use in your formulations can really expand your product lines. The best part is if you can’t use it when you get it, you can easily store it for the future.
We provide either French or English lavender for a multitude of uses and events including weddings, events, and everyday floral arrangements.
Fresh lavender is available for harvest starting early June into the first week of July and again in September for our 2nd bloom.
Here are some steps to follow to ensure your fresh cut lavender lasts as long as possible:
- When you receive your package make sure to open it immediately and inspect your lavender. It is common for flowers to appear a little droopy or thirsty upon arrival, but don’t worry this is quite normal. If you do see a problem with your product call us right away at 1-250-878-0041.
- Before arranging make sure your flower buckets and planters are clean.
- Fill your buckets with a minimum of 4 inches of fresh, very cool water.
- Remove your flowers from the packaging.
- As with all flowers, cut your stems diagonally under running water with sharp scissors, to the length you desire.
- Place the stems in the buckets you prepared immediately.
- Allow at least 4 hours for your flowers to hydrate, but it can take up to 12 hours for them to become properly hydrated.
- Keep your flowers away from direct sunlight, drafts or excessive heat.
- To keep your flowers fresh you’ll want to make sure you change the water every 24 hours and make sure the flowers have enough water, especially when you receive your order. They will drink a large amount of water when they first arrive!
- If you have ordered fresh lavender for distilling or processing, you will want to use it as soon as possible. If you can’t use it immediately, then you will need to remove the bundles from the packaging, cut the bundles and spread the lavender out on a flat, dry, clean surface to avoid mold.
- Distillation should be done as soon as possible in order to get the best result/maximum oil yield from your fresh cut lavender.
- If you change your mind and want to dry your lavender, simply hang the bundles upside down in a dark, dry area. Make sure to give the bundles enough separation for air circulation to avoid mold.
- Have more questions about fresh lavender for sale in Kelowna and how to reserve for your upcoming wedding, event or party?